In 1925, plans for Our Lady of Lourdes School were begun and the neighboring home to the south of the Church was purchased for use as a rectory. The school, which was staffed by the Daughters of Charity, was opened in 1929. The sisters lived in the house adjacent to the school on Cornwall Avenue. An addition to the school and a new convent on Barton Avenue were both built in 1959.
The present church on the opposite corner of Genesee and Barton was completed in 1968. The growth of the parish necessitated a larger place to worship. Prior to this construction, Masses were celebrated in both the church and the school auditorium every Sunday. The grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes was later added to the Church. A new rectory adjacent to the Church was built in 1976.
The Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Seton, a new sound system, confessional rooms and a new organ were installed in the 1980s and early 1990s. The artwork behind the altar was enhanced during that time period. The parish school became a Regional School in 1995 and the Daughters of Charity ended their service as teachers and a presence in the parish.
During the next 15 years, many improvements were made to our parish campus and many ministries were established. The newsletter “Blessings” and a parish website were developed and the convent was converted to the Seton Center, housing parish offices and meeting rooms. Eucharistic Adoration in the Seton Chapel was implemented and on the second floor, Evelyn’s House opened its door to young girls. In 2009 the church interior was refurbished to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the parish. It was announced that Our Lady of Lourdes School would be the only Catholic school in the area and be renamed Notre Dame Elementary School in September of 2009.
Our present church is a large but simple, modern light tan brick structure with magnificent stained glass windows. These windows that characterize our church allow light to enhance the beauty and uniqueness of their design, just as we, by our participation in ministry will allow God’s light to shine in us.